Tuesday 18 December 2007

Marvel: Wolverine -- Origin

The plot


Where did Wolverine originally come from? Did he slip in from an alternate Earth? Is he really a mutated Wolverine? Did he land in a meteorite? Is he a failed experiment?

It would appear not. A village girl is sent up to the big house to amuse a sickly child. When the sickly child turns out to have strange powers, they are driven from the house by enraged relations. They end up in the Canadian backwoods, and tragedy drives the young Wolverine on.

What I liked
The dark illustrations; The pages are laid out on black -- which makes the colours vivid; and some pages and spreads show dramatic hot / cold contrasts.

The finality of the ending.

What I learnt
One of the writers claims that he discussed the book with his children six and nine, talking over what kind of kid Wolverine would have been to grow up the way he did. I guess: don't do this. Because I can't see any of the Wolverine I know in the boy in this book. The boy is a personalityless little... he's not even a little whiner. I suppose he could explain Wolverine's gentlemanly streak, but only because he grew up in a rich house with a charming father.I know Wolverine has had his memory wiped a few times, but even so...

The story leaves stacks of questions unanwered, and closes the whole thing off at the end.

I'm probably just cranky because I wanted scientific reasoning and a proper story as to why Wolverine is the way he is. Instead, all I've been given is a hint that his mother suffered Wolverine-claw injuries at some point and an idea that his father is probably not his mother's husband.

No comments: