Monday 10 March 2008

Women underfoot

Quality Women's Fiction -- July 2007, issue 51.

This just goes to show how behind I am on my magazines...

I love QWF; but one thing struck me about this issue -- it's full of stories about victim women -- wives who have to wear a pair of denim shorts to bed; wives whose husbands have affairs with their sisters (the wife's sister, I mean); wives forced to put themselves in danger from violent exes because they need money etc etc. Sometimes it feels as though to be a women is to carry an unbearable burden, and a lot of these stories are about the consequences of laying down that burden.

Then again, I love the widow experimenting with carrots; and the mother who was pissed off at having to attend an awards ceremony for her autistic son who 'takes up a whole eight and a half by eleven piece of paper to write his four-letter name'.

Website: Quality Women's Fiction

No comments: