Tuesday 22 May 2007

Dr Abernathy's Dream Theater -- David Ira Cleary (Interzone 210)

Plot
A drug addict scientist floundering in among social norms that are forcing him into a conventional life finds fulfilment in a mystical dream theatre.

What I liked
Steampunk is very much in favour as far as I am concerned. Steam cars; brass and pipes. Strange contraptions. Society matrons wearing telescopic lenses.

I love the changes of pace that the protagonist's different states of mind allow.

There are some hilarious details delivered in a splendid deadpan manner -- a set of false teeth falling out; a rude drug dealer; a horrifying lullabye.

I like stories that contain titles of songs that never were -- I like to imagine what the music might be like.

What I learnt
Addiction is a fantastic quality to give a character. Immediately, you've got something that they really, really need, will do anything to get. When I was playing Knight City, I mentioned that my character drank a lot of coffee. The gamesmaster put her down as a caffeine addict and as I played, a whole set of possibilities opened up as she struggled to function when deprived of coffee, panicked if she thought she couldn't get any, and did desperate things to hold of a cup. In real life, an addiction is a burden and a trial. To a storyteller, it's a gift. The protagonist of this story is addicted to kuuf -- a white powder that helps him stay awake. His addiction must be hidden for fear of social disapproval -- there is a wonderful dinner party scene where he accidently dyes his soup blue with it.

Another great thing about kuuf addiction is that it appears to heighten the protagonist's senses, which allows the writer to embroider the story with rich details.

I was interested by my reaction to the addiction theme. The protagonist is very pro-kuuf -- he believes it helps him to 'operate efficiently'. I, however, did not approve. I felt as if he was in denial about his 'problem' and riding for a fall. Is this something I have brought to the story, or is it something the writer has put in?

Interzone

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good words.

Anonymous said...

hey


Just saying hello while I read through the posts


hopefully this is just what im looking for, looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

pretty cool stuff here thank you!!!!!!!